Shawn Driscoll's Tech Blog


Stuff That Happened in the Past

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Virtual Dice

I was debating if I should post this here, or on my CG Blog.

Recently, I made some virtual D6 dice. And since I am a DiceStream user, I was curious if there was any way I could use my dice with the G+ Hangout plugin.

So I contacted Mike Hasko, the programmer, and was told that the dice are actually stored on an active web server to prevent cheating. I thought that was interesting, since I don't have a criminal mind.

Mike told me that if the dice were stored locally on a user's drive, the user could easily copy a 20 over a 1 for the D20 die. That would mean when they rolled a 1, for example, a 20 could be displayed instead. And since his plugin shows no die roll total, and has no way of checking what numbers are on the actual die images...

Long story short, I showed him what my virtual dice look like (see example). I've not heard back.


No comments:

Post a Comment